- Molecular analysis of genetic instability
- Genetic manipulation antibiotic
biosynthetic genes of
- Immunology of leprosy
- Scaled up production of Doxorubicin.
- Cloning and characterization of doxorubicin
genes & isolation of stable mutants of S.peucetius.
- Studies on chitinolytic enzymes of
- Genome analysis of M.leprae and
immunology of leprosy.
Major ongoing research programmes in the lab are:
- Two-component regulatory system in antibiotic producing Streptomyces
- Molecular biology of M. leprae and immunology of leprosy.
- In the first programme we are examining the total proteome alterations in perturbed two component regulatory system. We use 2D analysis followed by MALDI-ToF identification of selected proteins. The main target gene in this set of experiments is a Chitinase. Identification of other affected proteins and their post translational modifications are being examined.
- In the second programme we are examining the expression of various virulence related genes of M. leprae from biopsy samples to understand the mechanism of infection. We use semi quantitative RT-PCR and Real Time PCR for the quantification of M. leprae gene transcripts. We are also studying the immune status of various forms of leprosy by analyzing the cytokines in the affected peripheral skin lesions. Plasma proteome profiling of leprosy patients gave interesting insights into the disease process.
Awards and Honours:
- Shanthi Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for the year 1992 - Biological Sciences
- Elected Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- Elected member, Guha Research Conference 1985
- Elected Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, 1994
- Member, Syndicate of Madurai Kamaraj University, 1997-2000
- Chairman, Task force on Bioinformatics and Infrastructure facilities by DBT, Govt. of India, New Delhi - 1997-2003
- Member, Task force on Human Genetics and Genome analysis, DBT, New Delhi, 1999-2003.
- Member, Biotechnology Research and Promotion Council (BRPC), DBT, Govt. of India, New Delhi – 1997 –
- Chairman, Task force on Infrastructure and Centres of Excellence, DBT, Govt. of India, New Delhi, 2003-
- Member, Research Council, Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai.
- Member, Technical Committee of TICEL Biopark, Chennai, 2004-
- UGC Nominee, Reconstituted DBT-UGC Joint Committee on Biotechnology Programmes 2000-2001.
- Nodal Person, Curriculum Development Committee on Microbiology, UGC, 2000-2001.
- Member, Committee on “Biotech Product & Process Development and Commercialization Awards” – DBT, New Delhi, 2004-2007.
- Chairman, Expert Committee on “National Bioscience Awards for Career Development”, DBT, Govt. of India, New Delhi – 2005.
- Member, Research Council for Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh, 2004 –
- Director, Industry University R&D Collaboration Centre, Madurai Kamaraj University, 2004-2005.
- Member, Expert Working Group on Capacity Building (National Biotech Policy) DBT, Govt. of India, New Delhi- 2004 –
- Adviser (Biotechnology), Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai (a CSIR Lab)
- Adviser (Biotechnology), Regional Research Lab, Trivandrum (a CSIR Lab)
- Member, School Council, School of Biotechnology, Madurai Kamaraj University.
RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS (1994 – 2005)
Seetha Ratnakumari, R.Mathumathi and K.Dharmalingam (1994). DNA amplification affects protease production and sporulation in S.fradiae. Curr. Microbiol. 29: 101-107
- S Kumaravel and K.Dharmalingam (1994). Structural organization, amplification, deletion and rearrangements of DNA associated with an unstable region of S.coelicolor A3(20 chromosome. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 31: 280-287
- R. Shivapriya, R. Prasad , Iyer Lakshminarayanan, S. Krishnaswamy and K. Dharmalingam (1995). Expression of mcrA gene of E.coli is regulated by sequestration of translational signal. Gene. 157: 201-207
- S. Karuthapandian, Subbaiah Kumar, Manikkam Krishnan, Kuppamuthu Dharmalingam, Chenniappan Damodaran (1995). Allele frequency distribution for the variable number of tandem repeat locus D10S28 in Tamil Nadu (South India) population. Electrophoresis. 16: 1689-1692.
- S.Karuthapandian, S.Kumar, K.Dharmalingam and C.Damodaran (1995). DNA profiling of the VNTR locus D2S44 in the population of Madras City and in the tribal Kotas of the Nilgiri Hills, South India. Gene Geography. 9: 65-90.
- K. Dharmalingam and J Cullum (1996). Genetic instability in Streptomyces. J. Biosci. 21: 433-444.
- P. Jayasankar and K.Dharmalingam (1997). Potential application of RAPD and RAHM markers in genome analysis of scrombroid fishes. Current science 72: 383-390.
- S. Mythili and K.Dharmalingam (1997). A DNA fragment from Streptomyces fradiae increases the production of a Metalloprotease in Streptomyces lividans. Journal of Biosci. 22: 419-430.
- P. Jayasankar and K.Dharmalingam (1997). Analysis of RAPD polymorphisms in Rastrelliger Kanagura off India. Naga - 20: 52-56
- S. Karuthapandian , S. Kumar, K.Dharmalingam, C. Damodaran and R.Chakraborty (1998). Multilocus DNA profiling using the probe 33.6 in the Tamil nadu population of South India. American Journal of Human Biology. 10: 87-93
- D. Arun and K. Dharmlingam (1999). Streptomyces peucetius converts anthracycline intermediates efficiently in culture media containing oil cake as carbon source - Short note. World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology . 15:293-294
- K.S. Vetrivel and K. Dharmalingam (2000). Isolation of a chitinase overproducing mutant of Streptomyces peucetius defective in daunorubicin biosynthesis. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 46: 956-960.
- K.S. Vetrivel, S.K. Pandian, Uma Chaudhary and K. Dharmalingam.(2001). Purification, cloning and DNA sequence analysis of a chitinase from an overproducing mutant of Streptomyces peucetius defective in daunorubicin biosynthesis. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 47: 179-187.
- K.S.Vetrivel and K. Dharmalingam (2001). Isolation and characterization of stable mutants of Streptomyces peucetius defective in daunorubicin biosynthesis. Journal of Genetics 80: 31-38
- A.K. Shabaana, R. Venkatasubramani, N.P. Shanker Narayan, D.C. Hoessli and K. Dharmalingam (2001). Cytokine profiles in paraffin-embedded biopsy samples of lepromatous leprosy patients: semi-quantitative measurement of cytokine mRNS using RT-PCR. International Journal of Leprosy 69: 204-215
- S. Paranthaman and K. Dharmalingam (2003). Intergeneric Conjugation in Streptomyces peucetius and Streptomyces sp. strain C5: Chromosomal integration and expression of recombinant plasmids carrying chiC gene. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69:1, 84-91
- A.K. Shabaana, N.P. Shanker Narayan and K. Dharmalingam (2003) M. leprae 18-kDa Heat shock protein gene is polymorphic. Current Science. 84:1, 64-70
- J. Daisy Vanitha, R. Venkatasubramani, K. Dharmalingam and C.N. Paramasivan (2003) Large – Restriction – Fragment Polymorphism analysis of Mycobacterium chelonae and Mycobacterium terrae isolates. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69:7, 4337-4341
- Ranjan Prasad, Sasikala, V., K.S. Vetrivel and K. Dharmalingam (2003) A novel extracellular protein of Streptomyces peucetius binds to daunorubicin but does not inhibit the bioactivity of the antibiotic. BBRC 311: 460 – 464.
- G. Banerjee, A. Damodaran, N. Devi, K. Dharmalingam and G. Raman (2004). Role of Keratinocytes in Antigen Presentation and Polarization of Human T Lymphocytes. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 59: 385-394
- A.K.Shabaana, K.Kulangar, I.Semac, Y.Parel, S.Ilangumaran, K.Dharmalingam, C.Chizzolini and D.C.Hoessli. (2005) Mycobacterial liporaabinomannans modulate cytokine production in human T helper cells by interfering with raft/microdomain signaling. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 62: 001-009.
- Ramachandran Sarojini Santhosh, Shunmugiah Karutha Pandian, Nirmala Lini, Abdul Khader Shabaana, Avuthu Nagavardhini and Kuppamuthu Dharmalingam. (2005) Cloning of mce1 locus of Mycobacterium leprae in Mycobacterium smegmatis mc2 155 SMR5 and evaluation of expression of mce1 genes in M. smegmatis and M. leprae. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology. 45:291-302.
- K.Dharmalingam and K.Veluthambi (1996). Genetic engineering of plants in “Concepts in Biotechnology”, University Press, Hyderabad.
- Bini Ramachandran, JRF
- Chitra, K. (Part-Time)
- Delfin, A. Project Fellow
- Guryan Mukherjee, SRF
- Jeya Maheshwari, J. SRF
- Jubel Thomas, Project Trainee
- Lini, N. SRF
- Muthu, D. Research Fellow
- Nishma Gupta, SRF
- Rabbind Singh, A. Project Fellow
- Sasikala, V. SRF
- Shiburaj, S. PDF
- Sowmya Rani, V.S. JRF
- Vinod Prabhu, V. Senior Research Assistant